Seeing as we are now on the countdown to Christmas (well it is my favourite time of the year!) I can’t help but look for new and interesting festive recipes. This tasty ice cream bombe is a great alternative to Christmas pudding when you’re after something a little less rich…
You will need:
284ml carton double cream
200ml carton crème fraîche
200ml (7fl oz) milk
4 egg yolks
125g (5oz) caster sugar
350g (12oz) ready-made or leftover Christmas cake
Redcurrants, for decoration
1 .Place the cream, crème fraîche and milk into a small saucepan and bring gently to a simmer.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together. Pour the hot cream mixture onto the eggs and beat together to make a custard.
3. Pour the custard back into the pan and continue heating gently, stirring continuously until the mixture has thickened (enough to coat the back of a spoon).
4. Pour the ice cream mixture into a shallow container and freeze for 1 hour.
5. Stir the mixture, beating in any ice crystals. Crumble the cake into the mixture and pour into 6 small pudding moulds or ramekins. Freeze until solid (about 4-6 hours).
6. Dip each mould into hot water for a few seconds before turning out.
7. Rinse redcurrants on the stalk under the tap and gently shake off the excess. Dust the berries in caster sugar for a frosted effect.
Posted by Emily